About Narayanhity Palace Kathmandu
During the early Shah period, the site of the future Narayanhiti Palace was occupied by family of shreepali basnet Kaji Dhokal Singh Basnet house. Ownership of the site changed hands many times;after Dhokal singh Basnyat the site was occupied by Chautariya Fateh Jung Shah (6th Prime Minister of Nepal), his father courtier Choutaria Pran Shah and family. During Kot massacre of 19 September 1846 both Prime Minister Chautariya Fateh Jang Shah along with his father Choutaria Pran Shah and brothers were killed or send in exile out of Kathmandu.
After this massacre Narayanhiti Palace was taken over by Jung Bahadur Rana's brother future Prime Minister then colonel Ranodip Singh Kunwar. Colonel Ranodip Singh ordered minor renovation of the old palace of Choutaria Pran Shah and used it as his private residence. After ascending the throne of Prime Minister Maharaja in 1877, Narayanhit Durbar was again renovated, but this time much lavish and was extended into multi-wing palace. On 22 November 1885 during a coup d'état Prime Minister Maharaja Ranodip Singh Kunwar was assassinated by his nephews, the Sumsher brothers(Khadga Shumsher, Chandra Shumsher, and Dumber Shumsher) somewhere in the southern wing of this palace.
Earthquake of 1934 During 1934 Nepal–Bihar earthquake Narayanhity Palace was partially damaged killing two infant Princess, daughters Princess of King Tribhuvan. Repair and renovation work was done under Colonel Engineer Surya Jung Thapa and a new Portico and Grand Staircase was built.Read More